Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Invite the day

My husband Tom and I are long time fans of Brian Andreas. We love his story people. The pieces on my blog today are from his newest book (yes, you can get a book if you don't have room on your wall or enough money in your pocket to afford an original).

I love this image of inviting the day in again. We wake and invite the day and then all the morning tasks take over--walk, shower, pray, breakfast, to-do list--but how nice to just STOP and invite the whole day in once more. When I was in seminary, one of my professors, Bishop Mark Dyer, spoke about how each morning he prayed his calendar. That has stuck with me and I have made that part of my own spiritual practice. I look at my calendar and pray for each person I will meet with during the day, the people I will encounter as I run errands, and all those that I know have things on their calendars that day--ranging from surgeries to birthing babies--and I say a prayer for them. I pray for patience and wisdom and joy as I go through my day. I think praying my calendar  (usually done with a cup of Starbucks coffee in my hand) is a way I invite the whole day in again.


If you would like to order a copy of Brian's book, here's how to get more info: http://www.storypeople.com/storypeople/Home.do#.UIfU27RI22w

No comments: