Thursday, September 15, 2011

If there's anything I can do...


We've all heard those words--if there's anything I can do. We've said those words to others. Sometimes we've said them simply because we wanted to say something and we didn't know what to say.

Josephine Hicks has just written and published a book by that title--IF THERE'S ANYTHING I CAN DO: What you can do when serious illness strikes and I highly recommend that you buy a copy and read it.

This book is the result of her four years of caring for her partner who had pancreatic cancer. She has taken a difficult and painful time of suffering and transformed it into a way to help others find their way through the labyrinth of serious illness and to help us--as friends, family, clergy--find a way to truly help. This small book is filled with wisdom and with heart. But it is not a syrupy sweet "oh bless your little heart" sort of book; it is direct and honest and practical. It reads like both a narrative and a guidebook.

Find this book. Buy it. Read it. Remember it.

And just in case you are thinking I am Jospehine Hicks' sister or agent----I'm not. I went and heard her speak this evening at the Cathedral of All Souls and was transfixed by her presentation. Bought the book there. Came home and read it all the way through. But I'll go back to this book again--many times.

Hicks is donating some of the profits to cancer research so you'll be doing double duty good by buying this book. Asheville & Western NC friends can find her book at my favorite bookstore ACCENT ON BOOKS on Merrimon Avenue. If you can't find it locally, you can go to the website to order:
www.AnythingiCanDoBook.com

No comments: